Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Serve this pretty mixture of white rice studded with vibrant green, pale green, black and red either hot or cold. It goes very well with seafood. From "The Moroccan Collection: Traditional Flavors from Northern Africa" by Hilaire Walden.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 plump garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄8 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (or one cup of canned organic diced tomatoes)
- 2 large green onions, chopped (include the tender parts of the green stem)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup black olives, pitted
- 1 small avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes, then add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Stir the rice, then cover the pan and simmer very gently, without lifting the lid, for about 12 minutes, or until the rice is just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan.
- Add the tomato, green onions, parsley and salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the olives and avocado.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and carefully stir in the tomato mixture.
This recipe made it into book#234156! OUTSTANDING! What an excellent rice dish. I made it as a side, but could quite contentedly eat this as my main course. It is almost silky in texture..perfection. Plus, the combination of avocadoes, tomato and black olives is to die for. Fantastic recipe. Thank you!!
Very good rice dish. The avocado makes it almost creamy in texture as it melts into the rice. I followed the recipe closely (other than doubling the garlic and tomatoes). I was also forced to use dried parsley rather than fresh. Very taste side dish to recipe #235007 and #16719. Will make this one again.
Wonderful, pretty and easy to make rice! I followed the recipe exactly but only used 1T of oil. I really loved the avocado in it. If I make this again I will sub cilantro in place of the parsley.