Recipe by Mrs Goodall
This looks yummy, and soon I'll have a garden full of spinach to use!! So, until the spinach grows a bit more, I won't be able to try it...It comes from "The Best Recipes in the World" by Mark Bittman.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 lb fresh spinach, trimmed, washed, and drained but still wet
- 2 pinches grated nutmeg
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan with a lid over medium heat. A minute later, add the rice along with some salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for about a minute. Add the stock, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is done.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. A minute later, add the spinach and some salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until it wilts. Continue to cook until most of the liquid is gone; stir in the nutmeg and the lemon.
- Toss the cooked rice with the butter and put on a platter.
- Stir the cheese into the spinach, them immediately put on top of the rice and serve.