Recipe by gailanng
A rice and roasted cauliflower dish that contains layers of delicious flavors. Roasting the cauliflower concentrates the vegetable’s flavor and softens it to a buttery tenderness. The cauliflower is tossed with chili spiced rice and topped with fresh green onion to create perfect harmony in every bite. From Ad Hoc Restaurant.
- 1⁄2 head white cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup long grain, rice
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower with the vegetable oil and season with salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Place the cauliflower in a foil-lined roasting pan (reserve the bowl for Step 6) and roast until the cauliflower is a deep brown and tender throughout when pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes, tossing every few minutes for even coloring and cooking. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 250 degrees.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, cook the rice: In a large saucepan, add the water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and chili flakes and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook the rice just until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the rice well, then spread the rice in a thin shallow layer in a large baking dish. To prevent sticking, I'd spray or lightly grease the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the rice in the oven to dry out for 5 minutes. Remove, then stir in the olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with salt and pepper.
- Place the cauliflower back in the bowl and toss with the curry powder. Taste and season, if desired, with additional salt and pepper.
- Gently stir in the warmed rice and butter, tossing until the butter is melted and evenly coats the rice and cauliflower. Stir in the green onions and serve immediately.