Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious side dish from Brazil.
Make and share this Rice With Onions, Garlic and Herbs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
- Put the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the rice, stirring for a few minutes.
- Stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the onion mixture, add the salt and pepper, and cook for a couple minutes stirring.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn heat to medium/low cooking until liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved tablespoon of the onion mixture and serve.
I have to start by saying that I didn't follow the method at all, just used the ingredients. I can't seem to get rice correct on the stove, especially since I cook for one, so I use a fuzzy logic rice cooker. I cut the onion, garlic and herbs by four, and used 3/4 cup rice plus 7/8 (or a bit more) homemade chicken stock. I started by sauteing the rice in oil (in the cooking bowl), then adding most of the onion paste and cooking that for a minute or two. Then I added the stock, closed the lid, and let it go until the cooker stopped. Perfect! The smell as it cooked was heavenly, and the finished dish did not disappoint. I didn't need to add any salt, as my stock was salty enough. I'll definitely make this again, it was easy and wonderful! Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers
This rice was a great change up - we loved the flavours from the onion mix, an extra step but well worth it. I would recommend to use either parboiled or basmati rice instead of long grain, as the rice turned sticky, but I only used 2 tsp of oil so perhaps this was the reason for the stickiness. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed this dish! Made for ZWT 7 - by Food.Commandoes
Very flavorful and easy to make. I liked that you puree the onions and herbs before adding it to the rice; it is easier to get the family to eat it without them finding "chunks". I did wash the rice before hand to get some of the starch off and also decreased the garlic to 4 large cloves. Will make this again. Made for I Recommend Tag.