Recipe by Inge 1505
Seasoned fried potato sticks cooked together with rice? Sounded strange to me at first, but it is really good. Another well-liked dish from my favorite book on Indian cooking, Yamunda Devi's " The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking". Serve with a tomato dish and salted yoghurt for a vegetarian meal.
For the potatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled (about 10 oz)
- 3 tablespoons yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (or cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated coconut (dried or fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 6 cloves
- 1 piece cinnamon, 1 1/2 inch long
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons oil
For the rice
- 1 cup long-grain rice, washed and thoroughly drained
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 3⁄4-2 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 lime, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: Use smaller amount of water for firm rice, larger amount for softer rice.
- Start defrosting peas. Cut potatoes into 4 x 1/2 x 1/2 inch sticks. Stir together yoghurt, ginger, chili, parsley and coconut in a medium bowl, drop in potato sticks and mix to coat. Let marinate while assembling the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in a large skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf ( if fresh it might splutter!), and cook until cumin has turned several shades darker to a reddish brown color, about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes with the yoghurt to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, about 10- 15 minutes.
- Add rice, fry for another minute, until rice is evenly coated with oil, add turmeric, water, sugar, salt and lime juice. Stir and bring to a boil, cover tightly and reduce heat immediately to very low. Let cook undisturbed for 15 minutes.
- Add peas without stirring, cover again and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, mixing in peas, re-cover. Let rest another 5 minutes to firm up rice grains. Add butter and fluff again until butter is mixed through. Serve garnished with lime wedges.