Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This may be easily halved or doubled and may be assembled early in the day, refrigerated and baked later. Allow more baking time if casserole is chilled.
- 3 cups sour cream
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese (8 ounces)
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- salt and pepper
- Mix together sour cream and chiles and set aside.
- Toss cheeses together.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Put half of rice in casserole, spread half of sour cream mixture on rice, top with half of cheeses and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Repeat these layers a second time.
- Cover casserole and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until bubbly.
This was good and gets four stars for ease. I had two different kinds of leftover rice, one made with lime and cilantro and the other a spanish type rice. I think with plain rice it might have been too bland, but it turned out well with the leftovers. It's definitely VERY rich---I used low-fat versions of the sour cream and cheese. Next time I'll toss in some chopped green onions and sliced olives--this really could take a lot of variations.
Delicious and easy! My neighbor first served this to me years ago. She shared the recipe with me and when I went to post it on Zaar, I found it already here. The green chiles give it that mexican flavor, but it is not over powering. It tingles the taste buds. You should try it!