Recipe by LifeIsGood
This is a recipe from Food and Wine magazine. Chorizo is a Spanish pork sausage that packs a lot of flavor. Don't skimp there! The chorizo is cooked so that it crisps in it's own spiced and yummy fat. Then the rice is prepared in the same pot so it absorbs any fat left in the pan, which gives it great flavor. Enjoy!
Top Review by cbean
I tried this recipe yesterday and it didn't turn out so well. I followed all the instructions and the rice turned out very clumpy and gooey - and there was too much of it. I'm not sure what happened - prolly user error. I would try this recipe again, but I would def scale down the rice, as it was just too much. I would also maybe add some red chili flakes and a bit more garlic for flavor and also use chicken broth instead of water.
- 3⁄4 lb dry chorizo sausage, sliced on the bias 1/4 inch thick
- 3⁄4 lb large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups basmati rice
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 large pimiento-stuffed green olives, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges and hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium-sized enameled cast-iron dutch oven or skillet (or other heavy, good quality cookware) over medium-high heat.
- Add the chorizo and cook until they start to crisp, about 3 minutes or so.
- Add the shimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until white throughout - about 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook the shrimp!
- Use a slotted spoon transfer the chorizo and shrimp to a plate.
- Drain off all but 2 T. of the fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water and rice and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is just tender, about 18 minutes depending on your heat level.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until all of the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold in the chorizo, shrimp olives and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper , to taste.
- Spoon the rice into shallow bowls and optionally serve with serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.