Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from the 3 Bowls cookbook by Ed Farrey and Nancy O'Hara. It makes a light rice with sweet and nutty flavours. It doesn't keep and reheat well so it is best served on the day of making - it gets a bit chewy the next day (but I like that :))
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups short grain brown rice or 2 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed well
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 ounce dried hijiki seaweed
- Place the soy in a saucepan along with 4 cups of water and bring to the boil.
- Add the rice, carrot and salt and cook over a low heat (covered) for 50 minutes Alternatively throw it all in a rice cooker and press go.
- Meanwhile bring the apple juice to the boil and remove from the heat. Add the hijiki and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain the hijiki and mix into the cooked rice.
- Serve hot as a side dish or main dish.