Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe I found behind a pack of Ocean Spray Orange Flavoured Craisins
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 large onions, sliced thinly
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange-flavored craisins
- Coop rice in the chicken stock either on the stove top or in a rice cooker. Set aside.
- In a pan, Fry the onions and sugar in 3tbsp butter till limp and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Cook for another 25mins till it caramelizes, stirring often.
- Dump in craisins and cover the pan for 5mins to let everything steam.
- Open the lid, and dump in your cooked rice. Toss Well.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining 5tbsp of butter. Toss till its melted and incorporated into the rice. Serve.
Absolutely delicious. I cut the recipe in half, but left the 3 onions. My sisters love onions! And I have to admit, I really liked them in this dish. Don't stint on the time to cook the onions, they really do need at least the posted time to get properly caramelized. I wish I had gotten a photo, but it was eaten way too fast! Thnx for posting, tunasushi. Made for Fall 2008 My-3-Chefs.