Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A little different from what is usually thought of as broccoli and rice.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup long grain white rice or 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (plus extra for topping)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Let the oil get heated in a large wide saucepan; add in the onion; cook, stirring over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender but not browned.
- Stir in the rice until coated.
- Stir in the broth and salt; heat to boiling.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, put the broccoli in a vegetable steamer set over 1 inch of boiling water in a covered skillet or saucepan; steam 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the ¼ cup cheese and the butter.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and top with the broccoli; sprinkle with a little extra cheese.
Delicious! Made as stated except omitted the salt. A lighter alternative to the cream soup broccoli and rice recipes, will definitely make again! Thanks for sharing.
Very good. I was looking for a broccoli rice that did not have cream soup, and this was just perfect. Instead of serving the broccoli on top of the rice, I just mixed it all together.