Recipe by BoxO'Wine
A wonderful side dish or a nice lite lunch. Make a double batch as this reheats beautifully in the microwave.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
I made this as a side dish for lunch this afternoon using 3 cups of leftover rice(that had been refrigerated through last night), 1 1/2 cups cooked green mung beans(this is a staple in my house when we make Sindhi curry and white rice),1 1/2 tbsps. cooking oil(had to use this as a substitute due to non-availability of salad oil where I shop since a month), 1 1/2 tbsps. of soya sauce, 3 tbsps. of sesame seeds, 3 small onions and 2 cloves of garlic. My house smelt wonderful when frying the onions and garlic for this rice. As a personal preference, after toasting the sesame seeds, I did not whirl them briefly, because, I LOVE sesame seeds when they are lightly toasted until golden(1 minute). I am crazy for sesame seeds served that way in rice and so, I added the toasted sesame seeds to the onion-garlic mixture and cooked it for a minute. After this, I added in the cooked leftover rice, followed by the cooked mung beans and soya sauce. Mixed it all nicely(it tends to become mushy if the mung beans are cooked which is what happened to mine, nonetheless, it is very tasty)and cooked it for 5 minutes. It tasted very nice served with yogurt and our traditional Sindhi curry(I'll post the recipe soon) on top - yummy! I guess you can call it "East Meets West- Here's The Best"LOL, No kidding!:)
- 2 cups hot steamed rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 4 scallions (including tops, minced)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare steamed rice, or use leftover rice.
- I usse white long grain rice.
- Place a wok or heavy fry pan over medium heat.
- When pan is hot, add sesame seeds and stir until golden (about 1 min).
- Pour seeds out of pan, crush coarsely with mortar and pestle, or whirl very briefly in blender.
- Set aside.
- Return pan to medium heat.
- When pan is hot, add oil.
- When oil is hot, add scallions and garlic.
- Stir fry until onions are soft.
- Add bean sprouts and stir until heated through being careful not to overcook.
- Add rice and soy to pan.
- Mix gently.
- Add sesame seed, mix gently.