Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of our favorites, just watch everyone fight over the almonds.
- 1 cup rice, just cooked
- 50 g butter
- 50 g almonds, blanched and halved
- 8 dates, stoned (they should be fresh, but dried ones will do, if plump)
- 50 g sultanas
- 1 teaspoon rose water (but this can be omitted)
- While the rice is standing, after cooking, melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the almonds, stirring until they turn golden.
- Now add the dates and sultanas, and cook, stirring, for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the stove and mix in the rose water, if used.
- Pile the rice on a dish and arrange the mixture on top of it.
Tasty. I used golden raisins instead for sultanas. You can let the almonds and butter brown, if you like. If you do it over high heat, the dates and raisins will carmelize a bit, which really made the dish for me.
though i followed the recipe exactly but it was too dry for me and didn't go well with the rice :(
This was very tasty I added extra butter. We had this with butternut squash and plain yogurt. For the dates I used Delget noor which I rinsed to rid the extra corn syrup they soak them in! Another time I used very sweet khaleeji dates. Be careful of bugs in dates. Open each one completely and get rid of the yucky ones. I will definitely make this again and again.