Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Chilean friend taught me how to make this. I was addicted to it for a LONG time. This dish is quite tasty when eaten with my other recipe 'Dal Curry'. Enjoy!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 chopped onion
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 peeled and chopped English cucumber
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- lemon juice
- vegetable oil
- Clean rice.
- Cover with plenty of water and boil until done.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Saute chopped yellow onion in bottom of deep pot.
- When soft, add rice and salt and combine.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer awhile.
- Prepare vegetable topping and let marinate.
- Dish rice and top with vegetables.
- This dish is very good with Dal Curry (another recipe I've posted on this board).
Very nice way to serve rice, if a bit on the bland side. I'd suggest using dried basil to complement the tomato in the recipe, and definitely some pepper as Mirjam suggested. I used 1/2 tsp (for 1 serving) oil for sauteing the onions, which was just right, and omitted the oil in the topping. The lemon juice is a really nice touch; I used one whole small lemon! :) The rice took only 15 minutes to cook, and since I chopped the other veggies while it was cooking, I finished making this recipe in less than 1/2 hour!
This rice is superb! The only thing missing was a little hot pepper. Instead of topping the rice with the fresh vegetables I mixed it in to the hot rice and let the heat cook the veggies a bit.
Tastey and easy. I added some sugar and salt to the topping and received raves.