Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
What I love about this quiche is that you don't need to pre-cook the veggies and it's really easy to assemble. It can be served warm or cold, so it makes a good addition to the picnic basket.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated cheese (I use Mozarella)
- 5 eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, sliced thinly
- 70 g spinach leaves, chopped coarsely
- 100 g feta cheese, grated
- Combine rice, water, butter and salt in a microwave safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, for 20 minutes on HIGH. Stand for 10 minutes before stirring to separate. (You could cook the rice any way you like - this microwave method is the only way that works for me, as far as brown rice is concerned).
- Meanwhile: line the base and sides of a 19cm square cake pan with baking paper. Preheat oven to hot (200°C).
- Combine cooked rice, one cup of cheese and one egg. Mix well and press rice mixture firmly over base of prepared pan. Layer asparagus, capsicum and spinach over rice base.
- Beat remaining eggs in same bowl, add remaining cheese and feta; pour egg mixture over vegetables. Bake, uncovered, in hot oven for about 30 minutes or until firm. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.