2 hrs 40 mins
Makes one deep 8-inch tart
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar (125 g)
- 2 slices lemons, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup originario rice or 1 cup long-grain rice, plus
- 1 1/2 tablespoons originario rice or 1 1/2 tablespoons long-grain rice (200 g)
- 1 cup raisins (165 g)
- 5 -6 tablespoons marsala or 5 -6 tablespoons rum, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (65 g)
- 1 deep 8 inch sweet tart crust, baked 20 to 25 minutes (recipe 71610)
- 1Heat the milk, water, sugar, lemon zest, and salt to a boil.
- 2Stir in the rice and reduce the heat to very low.
- 3Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 40 minutes.
- 4Spread the rice on a dinner plate to cool and discard the lemon zest.
- 5While the rice is cooking, soak the raisins in 1/4 cup Marsala for at least 30 minutes.
- 6When the rice has cooled to room temperature, whisk the egg yolks and vanilla in a mixing bowl until blended.
- 7Stir in the rice.
- 8Add the butter and raisins with the Marsala and mix thoroughly.
- 9Beat the egg whites until the peaks are stiff but not dry and fold into the rice mixture.
- 10Pour the filling into the tart shell.
- 11Heat the oven to 400F.
- 12Bake just until lightly creamy inside (a skewer inserted in the center should NOT come out compleltly clean), about 30 minutes.
- 13If the top is too pale, you can brown it briefly under the broiler.
- 14Cool on a rack, and brush the surface with 1 to 2 Tbs Marsala, making a few holes with a toothpick to allow the liquor to penetrate the interior.
- 15Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Tart (Torta di Riso)
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.6
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 84.7 mg
- Sodium 88.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 26.9 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
sweet tart crust