Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
A wonderful holiday meal for a table of 12 to enjoy at Thanksgiving. This recipe comes from the Weekend magazine dated December 23rd'2005. Enjoy! Notes: 1. Buy a turkey of about 10-12 lbs. for this dish. 2.You may use 1/2 lb. ground beef or lamb instead of 1 lb. lean beef or lamb.
- 1 whole turkey, cleaned and washed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lb lean beef or 1 lb lamb, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups rice, rinsed
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Rub lemon juice and 2 tsps. of salt on the turkey, inside and outside. Keep aside.
- Melt 6 tbsps. butter in a saucepan.
- Add the meat and saute on medium flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Fold in onions, garlic, corriander leaves and the small red pepper. Stir-fry for 10 minutes.
- Fold in 1 teaspoons salt, thyme, rosemary, corriander seeds, allspice, rice, 2 cups of water and half of the following: sage, pepper, cinnamon and ginger.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and stir every 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Fold in the almonds.
- Stuff the turkey including the neck opening and then sew and place it in a roaster.
- Prepare a basting juice by combining 4 tbsps. butter, sage, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, and the remaining water.
- Baste turkey with this mixture.
- Cover and bake in a 350F pre-heated oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Baste every 20 minutes.
- Uncover and turn the turkey over.
- Baste and bake for 2 more hours or until the turkey is cooked. Remember to baste every 20 minutes.
- Prepare a sauce by adding the remaining 2 tbsps. butter to the juice in the pan.
- Serve the turkey with the sauce.
- As a side dish, you may serve mashed potatoes, peas and corn and cranberry sauce(recipes posted separately).
- Bon Appetite!
- Enjoy :).