1/3 Photos of Rice Stuffed Sunburst / Patty Pan Summer Squash
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
magpie diner's Note:
Recently they have been selling some pretty large patty pan squash at the farmers' market, much larger than the little baby ones you often see roasted or grilled. I didn't want to just cut them up like regular squash so I searched around and found quite a few recipes for stuffed versions, baked in the oven. Didn't find one with rice though. This started as a recipe on about.com, but morphed as I have made it a few times, into what it is now. This only makes 4 squash, but you could easily double. You could make this a very substantial main course for a vegetarian if you added some protein. Note that the amount of rice is actually more than you'll need, by about 1/3 of a cup, we all really like the rice though so it's nice to have extra. In fact we like the rice so much I have doubled up that part of the recipe and used it for another meal. All depending on what you're serving this with, you could easily adjust the flavours, (ie I'm thinking feta, lemon & marjoram to go with greek). This is a small enough side dish that I can cook it in my toaster oven. Next is to try it on the BBQ. Hope you like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 yellow pattypan squash (aka sunburst or scalloped I believe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or sub your favourite broth)
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or sub another favourite herb)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parmesan cheese, grated (for sprinking on before baking)
- 1Use a saute pan (with a lid) that will fit your 4 whole squash evenly. Add about 3 inches of water, lightly salt it and bring to a boil. Make sure your squash sit nice and flat -- cut off a bit on the bottom if need be, just not too much or you'll go through.
- 2Place your squash in the boiling water, cover and allow it to cook for about 10 minutes, until just fork tender. While the squash cooks, chop up your other ingredients.
- 3Once the squash is done, remove them gently and set them aside. Drain the water and clean out your pan.
- 4Returning the pan to the stove, heat the 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for just a few minutes, watching it doesn't burn.
- 5Add in the raw rice and stir to coat. Add in the broth and bring to a boil. Depending on your broth, you may want to season with salt and pepper. Once at a boil, reduce the heat and cover. Cook for 45 minutes - at which time the rice should be cooked and liquid fully absorbed. (Depending on your rice, you may need slightly longer).
- 6While the rice cooks, cut the tops off of the squash (just below the green part). You want enough of a opening to work with, without wasting too much of the squash. Next, scoop out some of the insides being careful not to break through the sides or bottom. I like to score a circle using a paring knife and then scoop out with a regular teaspoon. It's basically the seedy part you want to remove, you don't have to take much from around the sides. You can chop up parts of what you scoop out and add it into the rice mixture. Set your squash aside again.
- 7Preheat your oven to 375. Have a baking dish ready (lightly oiled, or foil if you prefer).
- 8When the rice is done, take it off the heat and add in the 1/2 cup of parmesan, the fresh basil and spinach. Mix.
- 9Time to assemble. Using the 1 tsp of olive oil, lightly brush the outsides of the squash. Next, stuff the rice mixture into the hollow -- you can pack quite a bit in there, and have a bit overflowing on top. Place into the baking dish and finish by sprinkling the 1 tbsp of parmesan over top.
- 10Bake for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Stuffed Sunburst / Patty Pan Summer Squash
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.8
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 224.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: