Recipe by Dancer^
If you wish to make a main dish instead of an appetizer, use Portabello mushrooms and serve one per person.
- 10 -12 medium mushrooms, about half of the stems from the mushroom, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely minced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 celery rib, finely minced
- 1⁄2 red sweet bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (Italian seasoning)
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush the mushrooms lightly and remove the stems.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet and gently saute the vegetables and herbs until beginning to caramelize.
- Deglaze the pan with the stock and continue to simmer the vegetables until softish but not dead.
- Remove from heat and add the cooked rice.
- When cool, add the egg-whites and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pack into the mushroom caps and sprinkle lightly with Parmesan.
- Put into a preheated 340°F oven until lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.