Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Great looking dish. Super taste too. a spring chicken for each of you. garnished with eggs and tomatoes this is a one dish meal, well, nearly !!!
- 2 whole spring chicken
- 2 tablespoons white poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 dried red chilies
- 5 ounces plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 6 green cardamoms, split open
- 4 whole cloves
- 10 ounces basmati rice, washed
- 1 pint water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron strand
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Keeping the chicken whole, remove the skin.
- Slash the chickens making slits in the legs, breasts and back. This will allow the spices to penetrate the flesh.
- Grind together the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, peppercorns, 4 green cardamoms, and the red chillies.
- Mix the ground spices with half of the salt, turmeric, and ground coriander into the yogurt. Use half of this mixture only, and rub it into the chicken filling the deep cuts. Set the chicken aside for 1 hour.Save the rest of the spice mix.
- To Pilau the rice.
- Melt the butter over medium heat and fry the 2 sliced onions, 3 cloves garlic, cinnamon, and cloves till the onions are brown 6 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and remaining salt with the saffron strands. Bring to the boil reduce the heat simmer for 12 minutes DO NOT STIR THE RICE WHILE IT IS COOKING. Turn of the heat and allow the rice to stand for 10 mins covered.
- Put 1/4 of the rice aside and allow it to cool. Using a spoon stuff the stomach cavity of the chickens and truss them for braising.
- In a non-stick pan melt the 2 tbsp butter and add the onion and garlic and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Put the chickens on their backs on top of the onions, along with the marinade left over from marinating the chickens. You should still have half of the marinade left, keep it.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes Turn the chickens over and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken onto their backs again and, spread the reserved marinade over the birds, cover the pan and cook on low for 30 mins, turning the birds every 10 minutes.
- Serve the birds whole on a bed of the remaining rice, pour any liquid left from the cooking over the birds. Garnish with hard boild eggs and sliced tomatoes.