Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Vintage Southern Living
Top Review by The Soup Nazi
Well, I didn't have cheese. I probably don't need it anyway. Lol I made a huge pot of gravy, and as an afterthought I had 2 Bell peppers getting ready to go bad, so I made these. I stuffed them with rice mixed with the gravy, put them on a bed of the gravy with sausage, and baked for 25 minutes. Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off tops of green peppers; remove seeds; cook peppers 5 minutes in boiling salted water; drain and set aside.
- Combine the rice, tomatoes, butter, and onion soup mix.
- Fill peppers with rice mixture; place in a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Pour ½ inch hot water into dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top; bake 5 more minutes.