I adapted another stuffed artichoke (one that uses bread crumbs) by Giada De Laurentiis to make this recipe. Although there is an alternate microwave method included in this adopted recipe, I recommend using Giada's stovetop method.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium artichokes
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (the juice of 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1Fill a large pot (a stock pot works well) with cold water; roll the lemon on the counter with your palm to "loosen" juices, then cut in half and squeeze the juice into the pot of water and toss in the squeezed lemon halves.
- 2Trim the artichokes: cut off the top quarter from the artichokes and discard, remove the bottom and tough outer layer of stem, snap off the tough outer leaves from the base, remove dark green areas of the base.
- 3Cut artichokes in quarters and remove the choke and small purple leaves.
- 4Add trimmed and quartered artichokes to the pot of water, cover, and simmer over medium heat until tender, about 45 minutes; drain and set aside to let cool.
- 5(Microwave method: cut off stems and loose outer leaves from artichoke. Cut of 1-inch from tops. Snip off sharp leaf tips. Brush cut edges with lemon juice. Place artichokes and water in a casserole. Cover with vented clear plastic wrap. Microwave, covered, on 100% power for 7 to 9 minutes or just till tender, rotating casserole a half-turn after 4 minutes. Let stand, covered, while preparing stuffing.)
- 6In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter; saute the green onion and carrot for 5 to 7 minutes, until vegetables begin to brown.
- 7Stir in the ground sage, coating the vegetables well.
- 8Add the cooked rice and stir well, and saute for an additional 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 10Place artichoke quarters in a lightly buttered baking dish.
- 11Spoon rice stuffing onto each artichoke, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, until the Parmesan browns a little.
- 13Meanwhile, prepare the sauce: in a saucepan stir together the chicken broth, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, cornstarch, and white pepper. Heat over medium temperature for about 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 14In another bowl, whisk HALF of the hot sauce mixture into the egg yolk, combine well; then return the yolk mixture into the remaining sauce mixture and simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes to desired consistency. Check sauce for any possibly needed additional salt and pepper.
- 15Transfer stuffed artichokes to a warm serving platter.
- 16Pour sauce around the artichokes.
Browse Our Top Microwave Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Microwave Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Stuffed Artichokes with Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.8
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 122.7 mg
- Sodium 438.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 137.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 17.2 g