Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A yummy Japanese-style recipe from www.moscowfood.coop. Easy to make vegetarian by using veggie stock.
- 591.47 ml cooked short-grain rice
- 177.44 ml shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 354.88 ml daikon radishes, sliced as directed (about a four inch long chunk)
- 59.14 ml carrot, sliced as directed
- 118.29 ml wakame seaweed, soaked five minutes in cold water to cover, then chopped into one inch long pieces (discard soaking water)
- 1182.95 ml fish stock or 1182.95 ml chicken stock or 1182.95 ml vegetable stock
- 4.92 ml salt
- 36.97 ml soy sauce
- Peel the daikon and carrot, and slice into two-inch-long by one-half-inch wide ribbons that are no more than one-eighth-inch thick.
- The easiest way to accomplish this is by just using your vegetable peeler.
- In a stockpot or large saucpan, heat the stock over medium-high heat.
- Add the daikon and carrot, and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, mushrooms and wakame, and bring to a boil again, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salt and soy sauce and serve immediately.
- Be careful not to cook the rice too long; otherwise, it will end up the unappetizing consistency of glue.
Wonderful recipe! I will have to try it!
I've been wanting to try making something with daikon when I saw this recipe. It is excellent. I already had 2 1/2 cups of cooked jasmine rice from the other day and, when I couldn't find the seaweed at the grocery store, I just grabbed a seaweed salad from. The sushi counter and rinsed it. It worked, but I think they add food coloring to it and it gave the soup a green tint. It still tasted awesome!
I added 1/4 cup of miso, and a block of hard tofu, cut in cubes. I left out the rice because I prefer to make the rice separately. This was delicious and I'm sure I'll make it again.