A yummy Japanese-style recipe from www.moscowfood.coop. Easy to make vegetarian by using veggie stock.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked short-grain rice
- 3⁄4 cup shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups daikon radishes, sliced as directed (about a four inch long chunk)
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, sliced as directed
- 1⁄2 cup wakame seaweed, soaked five minutes in cold water to cover, then chopped into one inch long pieces (discard soaking water)
- 5 cups fish stock or 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Peel the daikon and carrot, and slice into two-inch-long by one-half-inch wide ribbons that are no more than one-eighth-inch thick.
- The easiest way to accomplish this is by just using your vegetable peeler.
- In a stockpot or large saucpan, heat the stock over medium-high heat.
- Add the daikon and carrot, and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, mushrooms and wakame, and bring to a boil again, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salt and soy sauce and serve immediately.
- Be careful not to cook the rice too long; otherwise, it will end up the unappetizing consistency of glue.