Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Found this on a message board posted by an Orthodox Jewish woman. The long cooking time is due to the fact that we do not cook on Shabbat and therefore, if we want hot food on Shabbat day (Saturday), we put it up on Friday b4 sundown... There is a note on the recipe that says that long grain rice bursts and becomes too mushy...The ingredient list won't let me suggest flanken as an alternative meat :( it should read 1 lb boneless chuck or flanken...
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 4 1⁄8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken consomme
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- Place rice in a crockpot.
- Add consume, onion soup mix, soy sauce and garlic.
- Add water and give it a little stir
- Add the meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour then switch setting to low and cook until needed -- .