Recipe by Engrossed
From: "The Art of South American Cookery" by Myra Waldo, 1961ed. Posted for Zaar World Tour 4. I'm sure this would work great with olive oil and vegetarian broth for Vegetarians and Vegans.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
A really tasty soup which two friends and I enjoyed today for lunch. Being so quick to prepare, this is a great recipe to have in one's repertoire. Since it has so few ingredients, I believe that it is essential to use a really tasty broth; it also makes this a versatile recipe to which you can so readily add vegetables which you have on hand and which would perhaps be better used today rather than tomorrow. I used my Vegetable Stock #135453, and added a leek (that otherwise was in danger of not being used) in step one and a couple of handfuls of chopped baby spinach leaves in step five. And I followed ellie_'s lead in using a mixture of wild rice and regular rice, as I always enjoy this blend. Thank you, Engrossed, for sharing another flavoursome recipe. Made for All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag.
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetarian broth, heated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; saute the onions for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice until golden.
- Add half the broth and the pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Mix in remaining broth and the saffron.
- Cook 10 minutes longer.
- Taste for seasoning.