Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked,cleaned,small (fresh or frozen, do not use canned)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup american monterey jack cheese (or other cheese of your choice)
- Melt the butter over medium heat and saute the garlic& onions for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, chives, parsley, celery, chili pepper, saute 3 minutes.
- Add soy,& ginger; saute 1/2 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in the shrimp and rice.
- Turn into a buttered casserole dish, drizzle with the beaten egg (you can make this casserole ahead up to this point and just remove from fridge 45 minutes before you want to serve it).
- Sprinkle cheese on top, cover and bake in a 350F oven for 25 minutes; remove cover and bake another 5 minutes to brown the cheese.
This one is good, the only thing that I will change the next time is the amount of soy sauce. It needs to be reduced to allow more of the other flavors to come through. DD loved it and wants me to use some flank steak in it next time, so I will be making this one again. Good luck!
This is an interesting recipe. I wanted to give it 3.5 stars, but I had to pick a whole number. We didn't have any chili peppers, so I substituted about 1/4 tbsp chili powder. It was plenty spicy. Otherwise, we followed the recipe exactly. I think next time I'd use more fresh ginger. This recipe makes for a good jumping off point, but it needs a little something - just not sure what.