Recipe by pines506
Quick to put together and nice and filling. Just need a salad and rolls and you've got dinner.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Very nice and simple to assemble. I did have a bit of a problem getting the squares to stay together once I got them out of the pan. I think next time I'll let it sit for 5 min. before removing them to the plate. I also didn't have cheese slices, so used grated. :)
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 cup meatless sauce or 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 thin triangles monterey jack cheese or 12 cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine rice and boiling water. Bring back to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until rice is tender (do not add salt). Drain, if necessary.
- Crumble sausage meat into large skillet. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Drain fat and discard all but 1 tablespoons.
- Add the tablespoon of fat to the spaghetti sauce.
- Mix rice, sausage, eggs, onion and seasoned salt together.
- Pack mixture into an ungreased, shallow 8-inch square baking dish, smoothing top.
- Spread with spaghetti sauce.
- Sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
- Arrange cheese triangles in a pattern on top.
- Bake 5 minutes longer. Serve hot.