Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from "The Best 125 Meatless Main Dishes" cookbook. The original recipe used celery, but since I can't stand the stuff, I substituted fennel bulb. This is the most requested dish that I bring to potlucks! Note: There have been times when I forgot to pick up fresh dill. I substituted the leafy fronds from the fennel with no problem! Cook time is the time needed to refrigerate the salad.
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans or 1 (1 ounce) can kidney bean
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice or 1 cup jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 green onions (diced)
- 1 small fennel bulb (diced)
- 6 ounces smoked gouda cheese
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill (minced)
- Drain and rinse kidney beans.
- Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil, then add the rice, cover, and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes.
- Stir and fluff the cooked rice, cover, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add the garlic, sugar, salt and pepper, and whisk again until smooth and a thick consistancy is achieved.
- Whisk in dill, and set aside.
- Combine the cooked rice with the red pepper, green onions, fennel and beans.
- Pour on the dressing and toss well.
- Add the cheese and the peas and toss again.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight to let the flavors meld.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for half an hour before serving.