Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 3 cups vegetable broth, unsalted
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 ounces red onions (1 small)
- 6 ounces red bell peppers (1 medium)
- 6 ounces zucchini (2 medium)
- 1 lb eggplant
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh herb, i use a mixture of parsley,chives and oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In large saucepan, stir wild rice into broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add brown rice, stir quickly and recover.
- Increase heat for one minute, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, without opening, 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, without opening, 10 minutes.
- Wash and trim vegetables.
- Leave peel on eggplant.
- Pour oil into very large bowl.
- Cut vegetables into 3/4-inch dice, leaving cherry tomatoes whole, and toss with oil in bowl.
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with nonstick liner.
- (You can substitute oiled foil as a liner, but you will lose a lot of flavor.) Turn vegetables into pan.
- Turn oven on to 400 degrees.
- Roast vegetables in oven while heating for 15 minutes.
- Stir into single layer and return to oven for about 30 minutes more or until fairly dry and lightly browned.
- Cool in pan on rack until vegetables stop steaming.
- Scrape vegetables and all the browned juices into the large bowl.
- Add cooked rice, toss.
- In small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour over rice and vegetables; mix well.
- Serve room temperature or chilled.