Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My husband's adviser fixed this salad as a side dish one evening when we went to her house for dinner. After I took the first bite, I asked her if she would give me a copy of the recipe. I feel that the salad is best eaten fresh.
- Half fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Rinse rice in a sieve until water runs clear, then add rice and turmeric to the pan and boil, uncovered for 10-12 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Drain in strainer and place in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat, add the almonds and pine nuts and cook for 5 minutes longer, stirring often, until onion and nuts are golden brown.
- Add the onion mixture to the rice, along with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (which will immediately turn the rice bright primrose yellow), the apricots, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Taste and add more lemon juice if necessary. Serve.
Yummy side dish! All the ingredients work together well flavour wise and provide a great texture. I'm not sure the dish would work if you left out any of the ingredients. They all play off one another to really make a complete dish. Thanks misscrys79! Made for PAC Fall 2008.