Recipe by Countrywife
I go to a deli where they have the BEST rice salad. This is real close... Cook time includes cooling time.
- 1 (4 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (The brand doesn't matter, it's the 2 serving size.)
- 1 2⁄3 cups water (or as specified on the package)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or the amount of butter as specified on the package, 1 tbsp of oil instead of butter.)
- 1⁄2 cup seedless grapes, sliced in half or 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried craisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup almonds or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery or 1⁄4 cup cucumber, for crunch
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, to taste (I prefer Nipa Sap, but white, raspberry, cider and balsamic work)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice as directed on package (with the seasoning packet) and let cool 30 minutes or so.
- Stir in grapes or raisins, nuts, cilantro, celery or cucumber and vinegar.
- Taste and add more vinegar if needed.
- Be careful--I used 5 tablespoons vinegar in the last batch and WOOO is it SOUR!