Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is out of New Idea as a lunch box dish. They recommend it can be made up to 2 days ahead and then kept in an air tight container in the fridge. Times for preparation and cooking are estimates.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 100 g ham
- 1 red capsicum (red bell pepper)
- 1 carrot
- 2 (125 g) canned corn kernels
- 440 g pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cook rice in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender (about 12-15 minutes or as per manufacturers instructions). Rinse under cold water.
- While rice is cooking -.
- Finely slice spring onions (scallions), finely chop ham, finely chop red capsicum (bell pepper).
- Drain corn kernels and rinse and drain. Drain pineapple (reserve juice for another use).
- Combine cooked rice, spring onions, ham, capsicum, carrot, corn and pineapple in a large bowl.
- Combine soy sauce and honey in a small bowl, whisk until blended.
- Pour sauce mixture over salad until well combined.
This was a very different salad for me! I love all the ingredients! It is so colorful and beautiful. I did use green bell peppers instead of red bell peppers, since that was what I had on hand. This is perfect for a hot summer day, and I'm sure I'll make this in the future as an alternative to "lettuce" salads. I did use fresh pineapple and corn cut off the cob instead of canned. Just a personal preference. Thanks for sharing! Made for PRMR tag.
Delicious! Made as directed. This will be a lunch staple for me to take to work. Thanks, I'm Pat. Made for Make My Recipe tag game.
This was a nice salad for our lunch. Made a serving for two and it was perfect for DH and I along with some bread rolls. I made as is (leaving out peppers) and think it could use a little more dressing/sauce so will make that adjustment next time. Made for Recipe Swap #45.