Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious, fragrant rice dish to serve with your favourite curry.
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 600 ml boiling water
- Wash rice, rinse and set aside to drain.
- In a large saucepan saute onion in the oil until soft.
- Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook for two minutes.
- Add the salt and all the powdered spices and mix well.
- Add the rice and mix until the rice is well coated by the spices.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the boiling water.
- Cover the pan with a sheet of foil and its lid. Try to get a good seal.
- Allow to simmer slowly for 15 minutes. Do not remove the lid to peek.
- After 15 minutes,turn off the heat, remove the lid, fork through the rice to make it fluffy and cover again for 5 minutes.
- Serve with curry or enjoy on its own!
This was great! I made it to go with an Indian curry, and it was perfect! Will make this often, wonderful flavours! I couldn't get any black mustard seeds, but apart from that, I made this eactly as written. Thanks for posting!