1/1 Photo of Rice Pulao
A delicious, fragrant rice dish to serve with your favourite curry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 600 ml boiling water
- 1Wash rice, rinse and set aside to drain.
- 2In a large saucepan saute onion in the oil until soft.
- 3Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook for two minutes.
- 4Add the salt and all the powdered spices and mix well.
- 5Add the rice and mix until the rice is well coated by the spices.
- 6Add the remaining ingredients including the boiling water.
- 7Cover the pan with a sheet of foil and its lid. Try to get a good seal.
- 8Allow to simmer slowly for 15 minutes. Do not remove the lid to peek.
- 9After 15 minutes,turn off the heat, remove the lid, fork through the rice to make it fluffy and cover again for 5 minutes.
- 10Serve with curry or enjoy on its own!
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Pulao
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 200.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: