Recipe by Annacia
Rice pudding with a mild orange flavor. I have never used the rum so I can't offer any comment on that part of the flavor. Chill time not included.
Top Review by skiingpeaches
This is the best rice pudding recipe. I originally got this recipe from Giada D. and the Food Network site. I have used a combination of whole milk, light and heavy cream - whatever I had in my fridge. I have also used dark rum, light rum and 151 rum. All with excellent results. I also used orange extract when I didn't have any oranges. I also added rum soaked raisins to this recipe. This recipe is a keeper.
- 5 cups whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup arborio rice or 2⁄3 cup other short-grain white rice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark rum (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- orange section (optional)
- Combine the milk and rice in a heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean; add the bean.
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the rice is tender, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes.
- Mix in the sugar, rum, and orange peel. Discard the vanilla bean.
- Cook until the mixture thickens, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Spoon the rice pudding into bowls.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 5 hours.
- Serve with orange segments if desired.