Rice pudding with a mild orange flavor. I have never used the rum so I can't offer any comment on that part of the flavor. Chill time not included.
- Combine the milk and rice in a heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean; add the bean.
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the rice is tender, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes.
- Mix in the sugar, rum, and orange peel. Discard the vanilla bean.
- Cook until the mixture thickens, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Spoon the rice pudding into bowls.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 5 hours.
- Serve with orange segments if desired.