1/2 Photos of Rice Pudding With Raisins and Cinnamon (Arroz Con Leche)
Galley Wench's Note:
Yes, it's a bit time consuming . . . but worth every minute of it! Even though the recipe calls for vanilla beans, I've successfully substitued 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Found this recipe while cleaning out my old recipe box. Comes from May 2003 Bon Appetit. NOTE: The rice will seem soupy at first, but don't panic it will set up as it chills.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 large lemon, cut into 6 - 2 x 1/2 inch strips lemon peel (yellow part only)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 vanilla beans, slpit lengthwise in half
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1Bring 2 cups water to boil in medium saucepan.
- 2Remove from heat.
- 3Add rice; let stand 15 minutes.
- 4Pour rice into strainer and drain, then rince rice under cold running water until water runs clear.
- 5Bring 4 cups water to boil in large saucepan.
- 6Add rice, lemon peel strips, and salt and return to boil.
- 7Reduce heat to low cover and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- 8Drain and discard lemon peel.
- 9Combine 5 cups milk, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and 2 cinnamon sticks in large saucepan.
- 10Scrape in seeds from vanilla beans; add beans.
- 11Bring to a boil.
- 12Reduce heat to medium and boil gently until mixture thickens and is reduced to 2 3/4 cups (45-760 minutes).
- 13Remove vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks.
- 14Stir in rice, raisins and sugar.
- 15Continue to cook on low; stirring until raisins are plump and flavors blend, about 5 minutes.
- 16Spoon pudding to bowls,.
- 17Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and grated lemon peel.
- 18Garnish with cinnamon sticks, if desired.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Pudding With Raisins and Cinnamon (Arroz Con Leche)
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.4
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.3 mg
- Sodium 302.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 40.0 g
- Protein 13.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: