Prep 25 mins
Cook 27 mins
A great alternative for people who aren't particularly fond of your "basic" rice pudding. Reminiscent of creme brulee, this creamy rice pudding is topped with a maple, brown sugar, and macadamia-nut mixture that gives the dessert a brittle-like finish. As your spoon cracks through the crunchy topping, each bite offers an appealing contrast of delicious textures.
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 2 three inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring milk, 3/4 cup sugar, and the butter to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add rice and cinnamon sticks; return mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk 1 cup of rice mixture into egg mixture.
- Transfer egg mixture to saucepan with rice mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, discard cinnamon, and transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
- Let cool at least 20 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat broiler.
- In a small bowl, combine maple syrup with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Press macadamia nuts into rice pudding, covering the top.
- Drizzle maple syrup mixture evenly over top.
- Broil, 4 inches from heat, until lightly browned-- 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Let cool, spoon into dessert cups, and serve.
Hi smartdog, had this rice pudding at my friends house and it was out of this world! She got the recipe from Country Living, January 2007 edition, and made it with arborio rice; it was nice and creamy with the brittle topping creating a wonderful difference in flavors. It was fantastic! We all enjoyed it thoroughly! Was going to post it but you beat me to it, thanks for posting. Just finished making it for a friend who came to visit & he asked for the recipe, he liked it so much! Wonderful! Diane:)