Recipe by out of here
This is my husband's favorite rice pudding. He will sometimes eat a bowl for his meal. This is what you call real comfort food. The recipe was one from the Saint Mary, Georgia library.
Top Review by OutOfThyme
We LOVED this pudding and couldn't stop eating it! I added a splash of cardamon to mine along with the cinnamon. Can we say supersensational? Thanks Sharon. Into my file it goes for safe keeping!
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream, for the top
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the rice, water, and salt in a large saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and milk and bring to a slow simmer over low heat; stirring occasionaly.
- Cook, uncovered 30 minutes or until the milk is absorbed; cool.
- Soak raisins in water until plump.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees; butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Whisk the egg yolks with cream and vanilla; combine with the cooled rice and mix well. Drain raisins and mix with rice.
- Turn into baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake, uncovered until edges are set, but still creamy inside--25 minutes.
- Gently heat 1 cup heavy cream until lukewarm, pour over the top.