This is my husband's favorite rice pudding. He will sometimes eat a bowl for his meal. This is what you call real comfort food. The recipe was one from the Saint Mary, Georgia library.
- Combine the rice, water, and salt in a large saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and milk and bring to a slow simmer over low heat; stirring occasionaly.
- Cook, uncovered 30 minutes or until the milk is absorbed; cool.
- Soak raisins in water until plump.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees; butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Whisk the egg yolks with cream and vanilla; combine with the cooled rice and mix well. Drain raisins and mix with rice.
- Turn into baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake, uncovered until edges are set, but still creamy inside--25 minutes.
- Gently heat 1 cup heavy cream until lukewarm, pour over the top.