Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
This rich and comforting pudding is served at the floating restaurant Fregatten Sct. Georg III in Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen, Denmark. The cooking time is the refrigeration time.
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups skim milk
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup short-grain rice or 3⁄4 cup medium grain rice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 (16 ounce) packagepitted frozen cherries, thawed
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine milk, 5 tablespoons sugar and rice in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is tender and mixture is thick, stirring frequently, about 35 minutes. Discard vanilla bean. Mix in almonds. Pour rice pudding into 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan; cool completely.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl until medium peaks form. Fold cream into rice pudding mixture in pan. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.).
- Cook cherries, lemon and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until cherries are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Discard lemon. Spoon pudding into bowls. Spoon hot cherry sauce over.
WHAT A GREAT WAY TO SERVE RICE PUDDING ~ Loved the cherry sauce! Others need to know, though, that it doesn't take 5 hours of cooking time, but rather a little less than 1 hour, 'cause the rest is for chilling in the frig! Really enjoyed the inclusion of toasted almonds! A WONDERFUL KEEPER! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my Vegetarian partners in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 4]
Made this in the crock pot - this is fantastic comfort food and I will definately make this again. Thanks Elmotoo !!