1/5 Photos of Rice Pudding -- Mexican Style, Arroz Con Leche
1 hr 5 mins
Meanie Queenie's Note:
This arroz con leche recipe comes from a calender cookbook called Mexico, The Beautiful Cookbook. My Mother-in-law was about to throw it out and I found this wonderful rice pudding recipe in it. It is by far the best I have ever tasted. I omit the the lime and orange peel but I am sure it's probably great with it. uuum, uuum good. *I have made no changes to the recipe but want to make a note that many Food.com users state a frustration with the stirring time so feel free to turn the heat up a little but I posted the recipe exactly as it was on the calendar. I apologize to anyone that has been frustrated. The end result is always wonderful though : ) THANKS for all the wonderful reviews, it is very much appreciated. Enjoy!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (155 g)
- 3 cups water
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon very fine julienne strips lime peel (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups milk (or for richer pudding substitute 1 can of evaporated milk and add enough regular milk to equal 4 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, to taste (375g)
- 1/3 cup raisins (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Place the rice in a large saucepan with the water, cinnamon, lime peel and salt.
- 2Bring to a boil; lower the heat and cook, covered, until most of the water has been absorbed.
- 3Beat an egg into the milk.
- 4Stir in the milk, egg mixture and sugar, stirring constantly, over low heat until the mixture thickens.
- 5Add the raisins and vanilla and cook for 2 minutes.
- 6Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 to 20 minutes.
- 7Transfer to a platter or individual bowls and refrigerate.
- 8Garnish with ground cinnamon if desired.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Pudding -- Mexican Style, Arroz Con Leche
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.1
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 53.7 mg
- Sodium 123.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 54.8 g
- Protein 8.8 g