Recipe by andypandy
Rice cooker recipe from Wolfgang Puck. Remembering that short grain rice is always measured using the cup measure that came with your cooker, this is 3/4 of a regular measure cup.
Top Review by Gerry
I suspect Andypandy and I have similar rice cookers seeing as this second rice cooker recipe was as successful as the first! Didn't add the nutmeg and passed the cinnamon - family tastes differ on nutmeg and vary as to amounts when it comes to cinnamon. The lemon zest imparts a hint of lemon which I found I really liked. Used the 3/4 cup measure as suggested. In my cooker I do think using a regular measuring cup for the rice with the two cups of water in the original recipe would have been too dry. This made for a lovely creamy pudding. Made for a wonderful after school treat for a couple of hungry boys and a very nice treat for us. Keep those rice cooker recipes coming! I thank you and the teenager who has already requested reruns thanks you . EDITED to add to my March 4 2008 review - we love this pudding - on several occasions didn't happen to have evaporated milk on hand, found subbing the evaporated milk with coconut milk or half and half worked equally well. Using short grain rice makes this a real winner each and every time.
- 2 cups arborio rice (this is measured in your rice cooker measures...if using a reg measure cup use 1 1/2 cups uncooked s) or 2 cups short-grain rice (this is measured in your rice cooker measures...if using a reg measure cup use 1 1/2 cups uncooked s)
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, Eagle Brand
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon zest, one large piece of lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure your short grain rice with the mearuing cup you got with your rice cooker. This measuring cup is usually 6 ounces or close to 3/4 of a cup of rice. For this recipe you need to start with two of those measures.
- Measure first the rice then rinse rice in cold water, and place rice, water and salt into rice cooker and click to on. Cook until it clicks automatically to warm.
- When rice has been cooked and the setting has switched to warm, Disconnect the cord from outlet, stir once and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk evaporated milk, coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk cinnamon stick, lemon zest( a large thin slice of zest, not grated) and nutmeg together.
- Add the whisked milks into the rice, close lid and set the cooker to WARM setting. Check about 30 minutes later and see if it is at the consistency you like.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and the lemon zest.
- Place into individual dishes and garnish with ground cinnamon and cream if desired.