Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
good way to use up leftover rice! shorter grains give creamier results but basmati and jasmine can work too. you can leave out the eggs for a less rich version.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half (or cream)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 egg yolks
- bring rice, milk, cream and sugar to a boil.
- simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- stir in vanilla, cinnamon and raisins.
- cook until thick and creamy.
- tip: if you stir a lot at the end it will be creamier!
- turn off heat and stir in egg yolks.
- serve warm or chilled, i prefer chilled with this recipe.
I had never done stove-top rice pudding before, and it turned out tasty, but a bit thicker than I get doing the custard-oven method. I will stick to the oven method but this is a good recipe for those times you don't have an hour or more to bake the pudding. I might add some nutmeg next time. Sweetness was just right. Don't care for raisins, so left them out. Made for My 3 Chefs game.