Prep 9 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is this week's winning recipe in the Thursday magazine. It was submitted by Sabeena Rafek!
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole coconut, split
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 -5 cashews, for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons plain cadbury chocolate, melted,to garnish
- Soak raw rice in water for 8 hours.
- Grate coconut.
- Finely blend it in a mixer with 1 cup of water.
- Sieve it.
- Your thick coconut milk is ready.
- Keep aside.
- Repeat the same procedure to get 3 more cups of diluted coconut milk.
- Finely blend the soaked rice with the thick coconut milk.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- Blend again till the rice batter is finely done.
- Add the remaining sugar, egg and 2 cups of diluted milk.
- Blend again.
- Pour the batter in a vessel.
- The rice batter must be free-flowing in consistency.
- If it is not, add a third cup of diluted milk.
- Mix well.
- Heat a large stainless steel vessel.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Place a smaller vessel inside this larger vessel with a little water and cover the larger one with a lid.
- Grease 2 or 3 round elevated stainless steel plates with ghee.
- When the water in the vessel heats up, place the greased plate over the smaller vessel.
- Pour the rice batter to the needed level.
- Close with a lid.
- Adjust the stove on low-medium heat.
- After 10 minutes, the mixture will coagulate.
- Sprinkle few cumin seeds over it.
- To check the cooked pudding, poke it with the tip of a spoon.
- If the mixture doesn't stick to the spoon, the pudding is done.
- Remove the plate.
- Allow it to cool.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Repeat the process using other plates.
- Note: Avoid over-heating of pudding.
- To attract little kids to this pudding, roast few cashewnuts in ghee.
- Garnish the plain pudding with these.
- Spill few drops of melted chocolate over it.
- Dig in!