Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother always made this creamy comfort food.
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup white rice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a 3 quart saucepan,over medium heat,heat milk,rice,sugar,butter and salt.
- Cook until tiny bubbles form around the edge,stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low,cover and simmer 1 hour or until rice is very tender,stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled,about 3 hours.
- Garnish with nutmeg.
My mom didnt want a cake for her birthday so I made her this rice pudding as it is her favorite treat. She LOVED it!! I am not a huge fan of rice pudding and I enjoyed it a lot too. Did make a mistake and added the nutmeg and vanilla along with the rest of the ingredients so the only thing I needed to do was add a bit more nutmeg when done cooking. My mom does like raisins in her pudding sometime so I added a handful and a shake of cinnamon. Thank you Annette1 for sharing a great rice pudding recipe with us. Made and reviewed for My 3 Chefs 2008.