Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a classic indian version of rice pudding aka 'rice kheer'. Serve it hot or cold..
- 1 liter whole milk
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 5 -6 saffron strands, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup coconut flakes, toasted for garnish
- Wash the rice under cold water 5-6 times.
- Then add the rice with the rest of the ingredients listed above except for the coconut flakes in a large saucepan and gently simmer on low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (till it's thickened).
- Remove from heat and serve immediately topped with toasted coconut flakes or you may refrigerate it once it has cooled down completely and serve chilled topped with coconut flakes.
Was looking for something quick to make for the weekend without much hassle. I simply put all these together, stirred and zipped it in the microwave. I wondered how it would be considering it's just milk and not coconut milk which I usually know of Asian rice puddings and I'm glad that it didn't disappoint. It was sticky, sweet and delicious. Now I know what kheer is. Thanks for letting me try this! Made for Asian tag game.