1/1 Photo of Rice Pudding
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A nice, sweet, rice pudding. I devised this recipe by putting together a rice pudding exactly the way I like it--I hope you like it too. Note: I've decided after making this several more times that I like it better when I make a couple of changes: Simmer milk/rice mixture at a very low temperature for an hour or so until rice is very soft and liquid begins to thicken (instead of just 30 minutes). Watch the pot closely so you don't scorch it though!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large saucepan, bring water, rice and salt to a boil.
- 2Cover and reduce temperature to low; simmer for 20 minutes until water is absorbed.
- 3In small bowl, mix cornstarch and sugar together; Add to rice with milk and nutmeg (do not mix in cinnamon!); stirring occasionally, bring just to boiling point; keep at low simmer (not boil) with lid on for 10-15 minutes, then turn heat off.
- 4If you like soft raisins, stir them in now. Cover and let stand for about 15 minutes to allow temperature to drop, the rice to soften to desired consistency, and flavors to meld.
- 5Add a small quantity of warm milk/rice mixture to eggs and whisk to blend. (I slowly add about 1 cup of warm liquid to eggs, whisking after each addition). (For firm raisins, add them now).
- 6(I slowly add about 1 cup of hot liquid to eggs, whisking after each 1/8 cup).
- 7This will make a nice smooth custard.
- 8If you add eggs to hot liquid too quickly, the eggs will curdle.
- 9Over medium-high heat, bring mixture barely to the boiling point, stirring constantly.
- 10Continue to cook on a low temperature for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- 12Eat warm, or cover top with plastic wrap and chill.
- 13Before serving, sprinkle top lightly with cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.7
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 127.1 mg
- Sodium 148.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 10.0 g