Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Leftover rice porridge is just as delicious the second time around when prepared in these thick, rustic pancakes - a favorite in Iceland and Norway. NOTE: Find rice porridge recipe here: Rice Porridge (Risengrød in Danish, Risgrynsgröt in Posted for ZWT 6 - Scandanavia
- 2 cups leftover rice, porridge (it should be thick, not watery)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (can use gluten-free AP flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup raisins or 1⁄3 cup currants
- sugar, cinnamon-sugar or maple syrup
- Mash leftover rice porridge well with potato masher to break up any lumps.
- Whisk together the milk and the egg, then gradually stir liquid into rice porridge.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cardamom (or cinnamon), and sugar.
- Stir, in half-cup additions, into batter. Mix in melted butter until well-incorporated, then fold in raisins.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto griddle or lightly greased frying pan.
- Fry over medium-high heat until brown, turning once.
- Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon-sugar, or maple syrup and serve warm.
- Yield: 15-20 rice porridge pancakes, depending upon size.