Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a simple pilav. For all the RSC contestants who have stockpiled orzo...here is a way to use it up! I've not yet tried this recipe, but it is from a trusted source...Moosewood.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 pinch dried rosemary (optional)
- 1 pinch turmeric (optional)
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Stir in the chopped onions. Cover and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the marjoram, rosemary, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
- Stir in the pasta and saute until it browns a little.
- Add the rice and saute for 2 or 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the water and stir once. Cover the rice and bring it to boil.
- Turn the heat down very low and simmer 35-40 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
This was tasty. I used chicken stock for the water, as I think it gives a bit more added flavor, especially when it comes to rice. In my oppinion anyway.;)
This recipe is delicious and super easy. I served it under Middle Eastern Green Beans ans Tomatoes (114217) and I highly recommend the pairing!! Also went great with the Lebanese Chicken because it did not overpower the flavors of the marinade! Great Recipe and I WILL be making this again!!! A keeper!