Recipe by purpledino
This ia a great recipe i adapted from 'Cooking for Dummies'. I love the sweet and sour taste. (A great side dish for this meal would be baked chicken drumlets seasoned with curry powder)
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
Wonderful! You know, I absolutely had my heart flipping all over the lunch table when I was serving this rice to our guests this afternoon. Oh my! Everyone was speechless!! The beautiful yellow colour of this rice topped with fresh corriander leaves and some spring onions(greens only) was 'something' to admire! It was at the last moment that I thought of garnishing this rice with spring onions in addition to corriander leaves, and the idea was cool! I omitted the butter in the rice and used Maggi vegetable stock with onions(3 cups) instead of chicken stock. I also used half a cup of greenpeas in the rice to add to the colour! Instead of the lemon slice, I squeezed some of the juice to the lemon. Lovely dish, will definitely make again! Thanks for postin! :)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 slice lemon (thin)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the chicken stock- let it simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and saute the garlic and onion for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and tumeric powder to the garlic and onions, and lightly fry the mixture until the rice is yellowed (about 2 minutes).
- Transfer the rice/onion/garlic mixture to a small pot, then add raisins, lemon slice, and salt to the mixture.
- Add the chicken stock into the rice mixture, making sure that there isn't too much or too little liquid (the liquid level should be about 1 inch above the rice level) Bring mixture to a boil, then bring to low heat, allowing to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the rice at the bottom from getting burnt.
- Mix in remaining ingredients (cinammon, parsley, tomato, pepper).
- Serve warm.