Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A recipe that I got from my grandmother. One of my husbands favorite. It has a very unique flavor with the bacon. Wonderful side dish with chicken or fish.
- 4 -6 slices bacon, diced.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 7 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 5 ounces frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- pepper, to taste
- Brown diced bacon, and drain on a paper towel.
- Drain all but 1/4 c.
- Cook onions in drippings till clear (about 5 mins.) Add uncooked rice, peas, broth, and pepper.
- Cover with lid and bring to boil.
- Turn burner to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add bacon crumbles, stir in and serve immediately.
This is very good! I drained the bacon all the way and used shallots instead of onion. Some sliced mushrooms would be nice in this too. Served with Bombay chicken.
This rice was very good. However, I did not use bacon since we are vegetarians and do not eat bacon. Having said that, I will honestly tell you that when I had arrived new here in US, accidentally once I ate bacon at Pizza Hut and I loved it. Ofcourse, I dont eat it now, because I am a vegearian by choice. Also, for the same reason, I used Maggi vegetable broth with onions instead of chicken broth. For this rice, I tossed in some more greenpeas(about 1/2 cup more). This was a very nice side dish. Thanks for posting!