Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Reminiscent of flavors of the Middle East and surrounding area, in this recipe I substituted basmati rice; or use long grain white rice if basmati is not available. From Bon Appetit September 1997 with a few small changes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill leaves (NOT dried)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- In a saute pan heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute the basmati rice in the oil for 5 minutes or until light golden brown; stirring constantly.
- Pour in the broth and add the salt. Cook covered over low heat for about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, lightly toast the walnuts then chop coarsely. Chop the dill.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the walnuts, dill, raisins, lemon zest, vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
- Serve hot.
I too did some subbing, as I subbed short grain brown rice for the Basmati, Craisins for the raisins and pecans for the walnuts as that was what I had on hand. However the rest was made as written. Thanks for posting! Made for NA*ME tag.
Quite good. I used canola oil to saute the Basmati rice as my extra virgin olive oil is unrefined and would burn but I did use it in the end part. I used home-made chicken broth, sea salt to taste, pine nuts in place of walnuts out of preference here which worked really well, which I toasted in a dry pan, I added the chopped fresh dill a little bit before the end of cooking time was up along with Thompson raisins (I thought I had golden raisins on hand but I was mistaken), white vinegar because of religious reasons, plus the rest of the ingredients. This was served with recipe#386285, daqoos (I intend to post the recipe, a tomato and cilantro garlic sauce) and a fresh chopped salad with a basic home-made lemon dressing. I may make this again with golden raisins and pine nuts as before.
Although I usually try to make a recipe pretty much as given, here I substituted the brown rice I had on hand for the basmati variety! Loved the flavor combo of rice, raisin & lemon! Another time I really want to have basmati rice to use in this great keeper recipe! [Made & reviewed in the NA*ME tag game]